Monday, October 18, 2010

I'm Done

That’s it. I’m done. Done with the following:

• neck-turning, eye-rolling, head-shifting drama

• “I-think-I’m-better-than-you-because…” drama

• “If-they don’t-stop-getting-on-my-nerves” drama

• “They-must-not-know-who-they’re-dealing-with” drama

How many times do we as women admit that we start or encourage drama? (I include myself in that question.) Probably not often enough. Don’t get me wrong, sometimes I think we create drama by just some of the everyday normal habits we have without knowing it. Most of the time it is initiated by some directed action towards each other. There is drama in our homes, friendships, workplaces, etc. Not all drama is major show-stopping drama, it may just be something small, short-lived but intense. Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary defines drama as 1) a state, situation, or series of events involving interesting or intense conflict of forces and 2) dramatic state, effect, or quality.

In our capacity to serve the Lord there is no room for drama. You may think, “Well, it says a series of events involving interesting or intense….” and the events may be interesting and/or intense….but the rest of that definition is “conflict of forces”. How do we serve our families, friends, church, coworkers, etc. with the right spirit if we have the mindset of conflict? There’s no way to get a job done if we want to keep drama in our corner. I know I’ve had to come to the realization that some people had to be cut out of my inner circle because of their perpetual roles of oil in my water. When you have water and oil in a bottle together and you pour them out, you will have traces of oil left in the container, the same way other people’s drama will leave a trace on your life (and vice versa). God can still use you, but you will be less effective.

When we realize the impact we can have on others with our own drama, and what steps we need to take to not taint our lifestyles and witness then it should prompt us to shut down unnecessary drama. Not saying we go around telling others that they need to “get right with God” and “stop being messy” but that we should “douse the fire” and not feed it with gossip, bitterness, hate and the like. That goes to include talking about the drama saying “well, if it was up to me….” like we know better than the parties involved. If we all take the time to pray and self-evaluate, God can and will show us how to avoid dramatic situations, thus rendering us a valuable addition in the areas He has placed us in.